Under the supervision of the Supervisor – Youth Programs and working in co-operation with Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre Youth Workers, this position is responsible for development and implementation of a quality summer day camp for youth 12 -18 years.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works with the Supervisor – Youth Programs and WNC Youth Workers to plan and implement a safe, stimulating and positive youth summer leadership camp on a daily basis.
2. Responsible for the development and activation of creative, stimulating youth leadership and recreation activities that engage youth – strengthening social and leadership personal resiliency skills.
3. Attends all required training and orientation activities with a commitment to receiving CPR/First Aid certification.
4. Arrives as scheduled for shifts on time and participates in regular staff meetings.
5. Facilitates youth input in program development and implementation while providing leadership and guidance.
6. Supervises camp areas, maintaining constant awareness of the safety, general welfare of all youth, at all times.
7. Collects and maintains daily files (attendance, registration, outings related, health and participant information) respecting privacy regulations.
8. Works with Supervisor – Youth Programs to handle and document camp incidents.
Assist in communicating with youth and their families, providing timely information.
9. Assists in communicating with youth and their families to keep them informed of daily/weekly schedule, outings and events, etc.
10. Knows, enforces and follows WNC program safety guidelines.
11. Identifies and responds to youth behavioural issues as per WNC policies.
12. Assists in the co-ordination of camp fundraising and community special events.
13. Other duties as assigned including space maintenance/program clean-up.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Enrolled in a Degree or Diploma in a human service, recreation and sports, arts and culture or social work and/or experience working with inner-city youth ages 12 -18 years (including those with special needs).
- Applicants must meet the funding criteria; be between the ages of 16 and 30 years; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; have a valid SIN at start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
- Successful certification in standard CPR/First Aid (CPR/First Aid training will be provided as part of summer camp training).
- Must possess a Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates background in planning and programming for youth between the ages of 12- 18 years (including those with special needs).
- Demonstrates ability to work as a team in cooperative setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in working with youth from diverse social, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Salary Scale: $15.35/hour + 4% vacation and mandatory Employment Standards benefits
Hours: 37.5hrs per week / half hour unpaid lunch
Summer Contract Dates: June 29 – August 28, 2020
Deadline for application: June 22, 2020
Please send resume to:
Youth Recreational & Leisure Activities Counsellor Hiring Committee
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre
627 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G3
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Note: Please put position title in the email subject line.
This position is dependent on funding. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy; accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at: email@example.com, quoting the job title.