Under general supervision of the Supervisor – Children’s Programs, the Summer Camp Co-ordinator is responsible for all administrative and supervisory aspects of Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre’s Summer Day Camp. This will include overseeing all aspects of operating WNC’s Summer Day Camp (e.g. administration, program and event planning, hiring, training, etc.) and supervising approximately 8 Camp Counsellor’s, 50 children per camp session, volunteers, and supervising and working closely with the Summer Camp Facilitator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the hiring, evaluation and supervision of summer camp staff and volunteers (approximately 10-15 people).
- Responsible for the development and co-ordination of a training and orientation program for the Summer Day Camp staff and volunteers.
- Facilitates the establishment of a basic framework for the camp program (e.g. daily and weekly schedule; swim times/days; outing time/days; snack schedule; community special events; parent’s night, end of session events/show, etc).
- Co-ordinates camp fundraising and attendance at community special events.
- Facilitates the planning and implementation of leadership, creative, stimulating program activities with the Summer Camp staff team.
- Facilitates regular summer camp staff meetings.
- Collects, maintains and manages files (e.g. registration, health, and subsidy records, and other related participant information) respecting privacy regulations
- Assists with the camp budget and petty cash management
- Responsible for purchases (e.g. food, supplies, honorariums, outings, etc.) within camp budget.
- Establishes a filing system that collects all information pertinent to the program including a Participant Program Evaluation.
- Works with Summer Camp staff and Supervisor – Children’s Programs to handle and document camp incidents.
- Keeps camper families informed of daily/weekly schedule, outings and events, etc.
- Works with campers, their families, and camp staff to assist children in their personal development.
- Knows, enforces and follows WNC program safety guidelines.
- Identifies and responds to Camper behavioural issues as per WNC policies.
- Prepares an end of summer camp report, and other reports as required by Program Funders.
- Creates a Summer Camp yearbook and update weekly blog.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Working on a Degree or Diploma in a human service discipline and experience working with inner-city children ages 5 -12 years (including those with special needs).
- Applicants must meet the funding criteria; be between the ages of 15 and 30 years; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; have a valid SIN at start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
- Successful certification in standard CPR/First Aid (CPR/First Aid training will be provided as part of summer camp training).
- Must possess a Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates experience in staff supervision and leadership.
- Strong organizational skills and a background working with families from diverse social, cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrates background in budgeting, promoting, planning and implementing programs for children between the ages of 5 – 12 years (including those with special needs).
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as records maintenance skills.
- Demonstrates experience with team-work and co-operation.
Salary Scale: $17.93/hour + 6% vacation and mandatory Employment Standards benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week/half hour unpaid lunch
Summer Contract Dates: May 11 – August 28, 2020
Deadline for application: May 1, 2020
Please send resume to:
Summer Camp Co-ordinator Hiring Committee
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre
627 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G3
Note: Please put position title in the email subject line.
This position is dependent on funding. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy; accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title.