Under supervision of the Supervisor, Children’s Programs, this position is responsible for providing a quality summer program for children ages 0 – 12 years.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the Supervisor, Children’s Programs and other WNC staff in the operation and maintenance of a safe and healthy, positive preschool/family summer program for children 0 – 12 years and their families on a daily basis.
- Attends all required training and orientation programs for the summer staff and volunteers.
- Arrives for scheduled shifts on time and participates in regular staff meetings.
- Plans and implements age appropriate, creative and stimulating program activities in co-operation with the Family Resource and Summer Camp staff.
- Assists in the collection and maintenance of daily files (attendance, registration, statistical, outings related, health and participant information, evaluations) respecting privacy regulations.
- Works with Supervisor, Children’s Programs to handle and document program incidents.
- Assists in communicating with families – provide timely information, family support, information and referrals.
- Supports Families, Family Resource and Summer Camp staff to support children in their personal development.
- Knows, enforces and follows WNC program safety guidelines, maintaining constant awareness of the safety, general welfare of all children, all the time.
- Identifies and responds to participant behavioural issues as per WNC policies.
- Assists with coordination of program fundraising, community events and special events in co-operation with the Family Resource Programs, Summer Camp, the CAPC funded “Growing Up Healthy Downtown” project and the OEYC (Ontario Early Years Centres).
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Enrolled in a Degree or Diploma in an ECE or human service discipline and experience working with children ages 0 – 12 years (including those with special needs).
- Applicants must meet the funding criteria; be between the ages of 16 and 30 years; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; have a valid SIN at start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
- Successful certification in standard CPR/First Aid (CPR/First Aid training will be provided as part of summer camp training).
- Must possess a Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates background in planning and programming for children between the ages 0 – 12 years (including those with special needs).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in working with children and families from diverse social, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Salary Scale: $15.27/hour + 4% vacation and mandatory Employment Standards benefits
Hours: 37.5 – 40 hours per week / half hour unpaid lunch
Summer Contract Dates: June 17 – August 23, 2019
Deadline for application: May 17, 2019
Please send resume to:
Pre-school/Family Summer Program Counsellor Hiring Committee
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre
627 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G3
Note: Please put position title in the email subject line.
This position is dependent on funding. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy; accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at: email@example.com, quoting the job title.