Under the general supervision of the Supervisor – Children’s Programs and supported by the Summer Camp Co-ordinator, the Day Camp Counsellor-Recreation is responsible for providing a quality summer day camp program for children ages 6 – 12 years (20 children/weekly camp session).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with the Summer Camp Co-ordinator and other Day Camp Counsellors – Recreation in the operation and maintenance of a safe and healthy, positive summer day program on a daily basis for 20 children/weekly camp session.
- Attends all required training and orientation activities.
- Arrives for scheduled shifts on time and participates in regular staff meetings.
- Plans and implements age appropriate, creative and stimulating quality camp program (activities, swimming, outings, meals, special events and community celebrations) in co-operation with the Summer Camp staff team.
- Collects and maintains daily files (camper attendance, registration, outings related, health and participant information) respecting privacy regulations.
- Works with Camp Co-ordinator, Camp Staff and Supervisor – Children’s Programs to handle and document camp incidents.
- Assists in communicating with Camper families to keep them informed of daily/weekly schedule, outings and events, etc.
- Works with campers, their families, and camp staff to assist children in their personal development.
- Knows, enforces and follows WNC program safety guidelines, maintaining constant awareness of the safety and general welfare of all campers, at all times.
- Identifies and responds to Camper behavioural issues as per WNC policies.
- Assists in the co-ordination of fundraising and community special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Enrolled in a Degree or Diploma in a human service discipline and experience working with children ages 6 -12 years (including those with special needs).
- Applicants must meet the funding criteria; be between the ages of 16 and 30 years; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; have a valid SIN at start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
- Successful certification in standard CPR/First Aid (CPR/First Aid training will be provided as part of summer camp training).
- Must possess a Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates background in planning and programming for children between the ages of 6 – 12 years (including those with special needs).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in working with children from diverse social, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Salary Scale: $15.35/hour + 4% vacation and mandatory Employment Standards benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week / half hour unpaid lunch
Summer Contract Dates: June 29 – August 28, 2020
Deadline for application: June 19, 2020.
Please send resumes to:
Summer Camp Day Camp Counsellor – Recreation Hiring Committee
Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre
627 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G3
Note: Please put position title in the email subject line.
This position is dependent on funding. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy; accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title.