Under the general supervision of the Supervisor – Children’s Programs and supported by the Children’s Program Team, the Day Camp Leader will aid the Children’s Family Program Worker in all aspects of the operation of Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre’s programs offered to children ages 5 and 12 years. This will include assisting in all administrative, program and event planning, training, and supervisory aspects of the Children’s Program Team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in the hiring, evaluation and supervision of children’s program staff and volunteers.
- Assists in the development and co-ordination of a training and orientation program for children’s program staff and volunteers.
- Assists in the establishment of a basic framework for the children’s program (e.g. daily and weekly schedule; swim times/days; outing time/days; snack schedule; community special events; parent’s night, end of session events/show, etc).
- Assists with coordination of fundraising and attendance at community special events.
- Assists with facilitating the planning and implementation of leadership, creative and stimulating program activities with the children’s program staff team.
- Assists in the facilitation of regular program staff meetings.
- Collects, maintains and manages files (e.g. registration, health, and subsidy records, and other related participant information) respecting privacy regulations.
- Assists with managing the camp budget and petty cash.
- Assists with purchases (e.g. food, supplies, guest speakers, outings, etc.) within camp budget.
- Prepares weekly snack schedule.
- Establishes a filing system that collects all information pertinent to the program including a Participant Program Evaluation.
- Works with the Family Program Worker, Children’s Programs staff and Supervisor – Children’s Programs to handle and document camp incidents.
- Assists the Family Program Worker and staff to keep families informed of daily/weekly schedule, outings and events, etc.
- Works with children, their families, and staff to assist children in their personal development.
- Knows, enforces and follows WNC program safety guidelines and other; CampTO guidelines.
- Identifies and responds to children’s behavioural issues as per WNC policies.
- Assists in the preparation of program plans, reports, and other reports as required by Program Funders.
- Assists in the creation of a flyers, special events promotion, program outreach and social media updates.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Working on a Degree or Diploma in a human service discipline and experience working with inner-city children ages 5 -12 years (including those with special needs).
- Applicants must meet the funding criteria; be between the ages of 15 and 30 years; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; have a valid SIN at start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
- Successful certification in standard CPR/First Aid (CPR/First Aid training will be provided as part of Fall staff training).
- Must possess a Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in promoting, planning, and implementing programs for children between the ages of 5 and 12 years.
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrates background in working with persons from diverse social, cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrates experience in team-work and co-operation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as records maintenance skills.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
Salary Scale: $16.54/hour + 4% vacation and mandatory Employment Standards benefits
Hours: 37.5 – 40 hours per week / half hour unpaid lunch
Contract Start Date: May 31st, 2021 – August 27, 2021
Deadline for application: May 14, 2021
Please send resume to:
Summer Camp Day Camp Hiring Committee
Waterfront Community Centre
627 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G3
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Note: Please put position title in the email subject line.
This position is dependent on funding. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided with their application. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence. Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy; accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at: email@example.com, quoting the job title.